Seeing clients achieve their personal and business goals as a result of great planning is why I enjoy my practice.
Catherine works with individuals, families and business owners on tax, corporate and estate planning matters, and provides them practical, cost-effective solutions that meet their needs and helps them achieve their goals.
Catherine articled with a boutique oil & gas law firm in Calgary in 2004 and clerked at the Tax Court of Canada in Ottawa in 2005. Prior to joining Dunphy Best Blocksom in September 2015, Catherine spent the next several years working with various well-known national and Calgary-based law firms in their taxation and wills & estates groups.
Catherine is Métis and proud of her unique Canadian heritage. Her family has lived and farmed in Alberta for many generations. Understanding the needs of individuals, families, small businesses and large private enterprises, Catherine provides targeted solutions to each of her clients.
Catherine received her law degree from the University of Alberta in 2004.
Catherine is never idle on her feet. When not chasing around her toddler, she loves to run for fun. While she has run countless half-marathons and marathons in all parts of North America, she has recently participated in virtual team running races in Bali, Lombok and Japan. She loves the challenge of staying on her feet, despite Calgary’s sometimes snow-packed streets, and she is always in pursuit of new paths to experience.
EducationUniversity of Alberta, LL.B., 2004
Called to the BarAlberta - 2005
- Wills & Estates
- Corporate Commercial
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation
- Member, Indigenous Bar Association
- Gerrits, C. Wills and estates discussion panel. Women & Abundance Series – ACE. November 2019.
- Gerrits, C. A potpourri of estate, trust and tax issues for advisors. Mawer Investment Management. October 2019.
- Chair Tax Law for Corporate Commercial Practitioners. Legal Education Society of Alberta. October 2019.
- Gerrits, C. Family law and estate law: the impact of separation/divorce on estate planning. Palisade Capital Management. October 2019.
- Gerrits. C. Trusts: preparing your future as envisioned. Palisade Capital Management. June 2019.
- Gerrits, C. The Corporate Divorce. 52nd Annual Refresher – Legal Education Society of Alberta. May 2019.
- Gerrits, C. Planning for death and incapacity: family law considerations for the wills and estates practitioner. Legal Education Society of Alberta. March 2019.
- Chair and Presenter. “Taxing relationships: tax issues arising in family relationships”. Beyond Blended Families. Legal Education Society of Alberta. February 2019.
- Gerrits, C . Tips & traps on corporate restructuring for family law practitioners. Matkovic Allan LLP. October 2018.
- Gerrits, C. Tax issues in family law files. Widdowson Kachur Ostwald Menzies LLP. June 2016.
- Gerrits, C. Use of trusts in estate planning. Rothenberg Management. September 2015.
- Gerrits, C. Estate planning outside the will. Richardson GMP Private Client Group. April 8, 2015.
- Gerrits, C. Tax planning for disabled family members. PLAN Calgary. March 10, 2015.
- Gerrits, C. “Attorneyship & estate planning”. Dealing with disability workshop. Farris Wealth Management Group. June 12, 2014.
- Gerrits, C. Estate freezes – reporting tips and traps. Certified General Accountants, Public Practitioners Group – Calgary Branch. November 12, 2012.
- Gerrits, C. “What’s the purpose?” National tax conference workshop. Canadian Tax Foundation. November 22, 2009.